Re: Prefer Mercurial instead of git

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Prefer Mercurial instead of git
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 11:18:46 -0500

On Sun, 2014-01-05 at 16:38 +0100, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > We could adapt magit to use hg exactly the same way.
>
> Why do you insist on mentioning Magit?

Because it's frequently loved and other people mention it as an
advantage to using git with Emacs.

>  Its interface is modeled on git's characteristic features (index,

hg queues

> remotes,

hg paths

> etc)

hg etc

> Adapting it for hg would require a huge rewrite. You'll better write
> your own package from scratch.

I spoke with Sigma a while ago in #emacs (he was or is a big magit
contributor, I can't recall his actual name), and he think it's
feasible to abstract away the git part of magit and use it as an
interface for git and hg. Magit would hardly be the first of its kind
to abstract away git and hg. Kiln Harmony has also done this, as has,
for example, Phabricator.

> Do you have Magit-envy? ;-)

Not really. I'm trying to appeal to git Emacs users.

- Jordi G. H.