Re: Prefer Mercurial instead of git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Prefer Mercurial instead of git
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 20:07:41 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 18:55:26 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > If we are supposed to restrict ourselves to what VC or Magit offer,
> > then why do we need to switch to git?  One of the main reasons, we are
> > told, is that git is so powerful, and can be used to do jobs that bzr
> > users can only dream about.
>
> I don't think that that is "one of the main reasons."
>
> The "main reasons" is that bzr is dying, learning it is a hurdle for new
> contributors and most Emacs contributors use something else for the
> other projects they work on.
>
> Choosing git was, simply, the result of a popularity contest.

Maybe we have read two different discussions in two different forums.
My reading of it was that the popularity was explained by power and
flexibility that are unmatched by competition.

> What I dispute is your implicit claim of "git is complex,
> not-so-well documented and has a not-so-good UI, hence learning it
> will be hard."

Did I say that?  I only responded to your assertion that the UI is a
red herring, that's all.

> For Eli's definition of "learning", the claim may be true. For
> somebody else's definition of "learning", it is not. Not everyone is
> interested on a thorough study of the tool "just in case" when some
> simple instructions are enough to incorporate their edits into
> Emacs' repository.

I wonder how many of git enthusiasts think that way.  My impression
was that most, if not all of them think like me: that git is worthy of
being mastered.

> For those cases, a web search will quickly provide the solution. One
> advantage of belonging to a huge user base is that somebody, somewhere,
> had your same problem on the past, and helpful experts abound.

Do you act this way with Emacs, too?