Re: Apologia for bzr

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Apologia for bzr
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 21:41:20 +0100

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
There are the standard modern terms cut, paste and copy.

It is also about the key-bindings. cua-mode should be a first class citizen in Emacs. As it is now enabling cua-mode is possible, but the manuals does not fit entirely when you do. And that is of course troubles for new users.

In regard to windows, buffers and frames, we could have a mode of
operation which ties each buffer to a one-window frame.  That would
eliminate a lot of complexity.

Buffer is a new concept and it is fine. But "frames" and "windows" in Emacs is of course confusing for beginners. More standard terms would be good for them, I guess.

We could even offer that as the mode of use for beginners, if that
would make it easier for a new generation of hackers to become Emacs
users.  I don't know whether it WOULD have that effect, but if it
would, I think it is a good idea.

A mode for beginners would be good, but the exact content of such a mode is worth considering. As you know I did something like this in the EmacsW32 distribution for MS Windows (which I do not have time to maintain any more, merging took me too much time since my addiitons took too long to be accepted into Emacs).

Do beginners typically run Emacs under a graphical window system?

Yes, of course.