Re: Apologia for bzr

From: chad
Subject: Re: Apologia for bzr
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 14:13:28 -0800

On 05 Jan 2014, at 13:58, Florian Weimer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Probably.  But exposing windows as tabs by default could be both
> familiar and a bit helpful.  Relocating the modeline and minibuffer to
> the top of the frame might increase familiarity as well.

Windows as tabs by default would almost certainly improve familiarity by
default. The problem with moving windows to tabs is that you need to treat
ephemeral buffers differently - you don’t want completions or help hidden on
another tab. If anyone is willing to cross the Rubicon, the various gui vim
clients do a good job with this kind of tabs-and-windows.

On the other hand, I’ve showed emacs to a very large number of new college
students over the years, both programmers and non. The keybindings are
confusing to many people. People who accidentally split-window are very
confused. Nobody was ever confused by the location of the modeline, and it’s
normal for common apps like web browsers to have a “Status Bar” down there.

~Chad