Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 12:40:47 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:
 > > From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
 > > Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 17:34:47 +0900
 > > Cc: Achim Gratz <address@hidden>, address@hidden
 > >
 > >  > - How to do C-x 4 a when there's no ChangeLog file?
 > >
 > > ln -s $PROJECT_ROOT/.tmp_commit_log $PROJECT_ROOT/ChangeLog
 > >
 > > works for me in private projects.
 >
 > I don't understand why you need the symlink.  Why not let Emacs create
 > ChangeLog, then delete it when the commit is done?

IIRC, it was as a marker, I only wanted one of them, and didn't feel
like debugging logic to find the project root by other means.

The point in mentioning it here is that there are trivial hacks that
don't require any changes to add-change-log-entry.

 > Or use any other file name (if you don't want to see ChangeLog for
 > some reason): the Change Log mode can be turned on in any file,
 > regardless of its name.

As above, it was important (maybe only to my paranoia) that ChangeLog
be present in the directory but not be a readable file.

 > For that matter, why not reuse .git/COMMIT_EDITMSG?

Caution.  Who knows what else git might be using it for?  Or maybe I
just didn't know that was the name of the editmsg file at that time --
it was a long time ago.