Re: Apologia for bzr

From: chad
Subject: Re: Apologia for bzr
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 23:32:39 -0800

On 05 Jan 2014, at 20:27, Yuri Khan <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 7:45 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> James Cloos <address@hidden> writes:
>>>
>>> Emacs in a terminal emulator is often superior to gui-emacs with the X
>>> protocol tunneled over ssh.
>>
>> Why would you do that?
>>
>> It's so much easier and faster to just [use TRAMP]
>
> Because workflow.

Thats what leads emacs users to Tramp, also: emacs users tend to
do everything in emacs (until gnus/etc freeze emacs while updating,
at which point they tend to:

        Get annoyed.
        Think about adding threading/coroutines/etc to elisp.
        Start a second emacs.
        Get something to drink.

Its quite common to choose more than one at a time, of course.

More seriously, tramp users would probably be sshing in from within
emacs, and even if they didnt for some reason, theyre first instinct
to edit is switch to emacs and, not start an editor. Ive seen people
make emacsclient work in that situation, but I dunno what the current
state of the art is.

At the end of the day, though, Ive frequently been glad that emacs
works well in a terminal, and a limited remote link is the major
reason. I doubt its going away any time soon.

~Chad