Re: Prefer Mercurial instead of git

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Prefer Mercurial instead of git
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 11:13:33 -0600

>>That would just tell you who was the loudest, not which choice was
>>preferred by most people.  I suspect it wouldn't matter, but if numbers
>>are wanted, I think some sort of formal vote should be taken.
>
> My intention with my "PROPOSAL:" mail was to gather those numbers; I
> think those people followed up with a "+1" (or the opposite) grokked
> that intention.

Maybe, maybe not; but "I guess we should hold a poll" isn't necessarily
the same thing as "This is a poll", and I didn't regard it as such.

> So the numbers in that thread be gathered accurately without regard to
> who's loudest -- we don't count someone twice just because they posted
> twice.

Not everybody voiced an opinion; the quieter people would not be counted
at all.

> Now, it may not have been clear that the thread was meant to
> take this count, and we could have a separate "VOTE:" thread if we
> really want to, but my strong impression from the existing thread is
> that we already know how that vote would turn out.

I don't think it was clear, but your impression may well be right.

>>Of course, maybe numbers aren't necessary; Stefan may just want to hear
>>the discussion and decide what to do.  Or maybe he already has.
>
> I thought he has, and has stated so.

In which case polls don't matter.

Jay