Re: dealing with local patches - mercurial queues over bzr/git checkout

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: dealing with local patches - mercurial queues over bzr/git checkout
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 21:20:11 +0200

> Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 11:11:34 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jarek Czekalski <address@hidden>
>
> In my approach I don't pay much attention to the version control system used
> by a project, because I always init a mercurial repository on top of it.
> Then I use mercurial queues concept. This is a very convenient way of
> maintaining local patches. The patches are stored as raw patch files and the
> mercurial interface provides means of applying, reverting and reordering the
> patches.

But then you lose history of each patch, I presume: each patch appears
as a single flat changeset with no history.  When I work on a
non-trivial feature in a local branch, I make lots of small commits,
each one implementing a small sub-feature or a part thereof, usually
after testing the part that was added.  This history is useful later,
when the whole series is merged to mainline, because if there's a
regression, bisecting a series of small commits is easier than a
single large commit.