Re: Apologia for bzr

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Apologia for bzr
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 12:32:30 -0800

On 01/06/2014 12:27 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
Conceivably we could rename "window" to "pane" and "frame" to "window".
I think the two renamings would have to be done in two different releases,
perhaps a year or two apart.

I don't think we could pull off this renaming. At least on the lisp level, we would have to maintain compatibility aliases effectively forever, doubling the number of lisp symbols dealing with these concepts. One does not simply rename a function that's been in constant use for 20 years. Sure, you might argue, we could change the labels we assign these concepts in the UI and leave lisp alone, but the lisp symbols are too closely tied to the UI (with respect to keybindings and M-x) to change the two independently.

The best thing we can do is explain in the tutorial and manual the correspondence between Emacs and common terms.