Automatically marking conflicts are resolved (was: Move to git is immine

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Automatically marking conflicts are resolved (was: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval)
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 01:20:01 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Here, conflict is considered solved only after testing the changes (does
>> it compile? does it pass the regression tests?.)
>
> When Git resolves concurrent changes automatically, it doesn't mark the
> file as "there was an unchecked change in here",

Right, so you must consider everything as unchecked changes.

> so for the same reason
> I think the default behavior of vc-git + smerge-mode should be to remove
> the "conflicted" mark on files after the user has removed all
> diff3 markers.

On the compile/test phase it is useful to know which problems comes from
the automatic merge and which ones comes from the areas you edited while
resolving the conflicts.

I'm fine with the optional toggle, so there is no need to discuss this
further.