Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?) [was: Apologia for bzr]

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?) [was: Apologia for bzr]
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:42:47 +0100

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 9:31 PM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

One has only to look at the questions on a site such as
StackOverflow, not especially those about Emacs, but generally
(and apparently about PHP in particular), to see that some users
expect instant familiarity with a product without any effort - not
even a cursory look at the doc or a Google search.  The SO site
leaders are continually lamenting the poor quality of (some)
questions and askers.  Some people really do expect a royal road
to learning.  Encouraging them in that does not help them or
anyone else.

The main road to learning is probably that it is fun. That is how our brains work. Learning new names for wellknown things is not that fun. It is just trivial. (Unless you are learning a new language, of course.)

I would expect Emacs new comers to look for the real interesting things in Emacs. And those who do that are perhaps those that have most to gain from Emacs. They might just stop because of the boring trivial things.