Re: enable MELPA & Marmalade by defaul [was: mykie.el]

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: enable MELPA & Marmalade by defaul [was: mykie.el]
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 21:55:07 +0100

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 09:44:32 -0800 (PST) Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Is it even "legal" to distribute any elisp code that is not at least
>> compatible with the GPL?  After all, any elisp code will have to
>> link with Emacs to be usable.
>
> Not sure why you put "legal" in quotes.

Just a hedge, since I'm not sure of the legal status of the GPL, whether
in the US or any other jurisdiction.

>                                          And it's not clear what you
> have in mind by "compatible with", here.

I meant code with a license whose terms contradict (in whole or part)
the GPL.  Since you cannot (IIUC) distribute Emacs (or a fork of it)
under a license that contradicts the GPL, it seems to follow that any
elisp code, which must link with Emacs to be executed, also cannot be
distributed under a license that contradicts the GPL.  Or maybe it just
follows that any such code could not be part of Emacs.  Anyway, I'm not
interested in such code and was more or less just idly speculating.

Steve Berman