Re: enable MELPA & Marmalade by defaul [was: mykie.el]

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: enable MELPA & Marmalade by defaul [was: mykie.el]
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 12:23:15 +0900

Grim Schjetne writes:

 > I viewed a random package in Marmalade and it had no indication of a
 > license whatsoever. Perhaps the author intended to release it as free
 > software

If so, it *is* free software.  It's just very risky for users, because
without a verifiable statement of license, the author could change his
mind and the users would have no recourse.

True, failing to post a license violates best practices, but it's
unlikely that even a patent shark would upload a file to Marmalade in
the hopes that they could sue users for enough money to pay court
costs.  It would be nice if the repos would enforce a policy of
removing packages that do not contain an explicit statement of
license.