Re: Git transition checklist

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Git transition checklist
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 12:19:41 -0500

> I don't know what to tell you. *I* may misunderstand; I don't know bzr
> well enough to suggest an alternative or write a procedure, and on top
> of everything else I need to do it is highly unlikely that I will be
> able to learn bzr well enough to change that.
>
> If branch transplant is to be to be automated, I think it's going
> to fall on you or Eli to do it.

I'd expect that if git-remote-bzr is used for the conversion of the Bzr
repository into a Git repository, git-remote-bzr will also correctly
convert any personal branch, but I don't know those bzr->git conversion
tools to know which tool people want to use to do the conversion nor
whether this tool does work on external branches.

>> > - Improve vc-git.el so that it can automatically enable smerge-mode when
>> >   opening a conflicted file and (probably conditional on a config var)
>> >   mark the file as "not conflicted any more" when saving with no
>> >   remaining diff3 markers.
>> >   This currently works in vc-bzr.el (and vc-svn.el as well, IIRC).
>> >
>> > - Improve vc-git.el with vc-git-conflicted-files so that
>> >   vc-find-conflicted-files works for Git as well.
[...]
> I'm going to need a very detailed soecification of what you want, then.
> You can't assume I know what the bzr behvior looks like, either.

It's in the text you quoted (and which I re-quoted above as well for
convenience).  It's got nothing to do with Bzr (except for the fact that
vc-bzr.el does implement those features).

> I could do this - that is, create a maintainer identity and do all the
> cryptosigning.  Then I could hand you the private key.  You'd have to
> trust me not to keep a copy and use it for nefarious ends. :-)

Can't be much worse than the current status quo.

        Stefan