Re: Git transition checklist

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Git transition checklist
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 20:16:19 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> From: David Engster <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>> address@hidden
>> Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 19:17:03 +0100
>>
>> If I understood Andreas correctly, all branches currently in the
>> Savannah repository are converted. So if you push this branch before the
>> switch, it should land in git as well?
>
> I don't want to push it, it's not ready to get public.

I understand. You could make it a clandestine operation, though. Just
push the branch shortly before Andreas' script runs (I guess it runs at
least daily at some fixed time), then pull the git repo and immediately
delete your remote branch afterwards. Of course, anyone who does a fetch
or push with '--all' in that window will have the branch (and could push
it again), but maybe you could live with that possibility.

>  I don't think it's right to pollute the savannah repository with
> every local branch we all have.

I see no problem with that. Branches are cheap and can be deleted when
no longer needed. And AFAIK, git won't fetch or even show remote
branches unless you explicitly ask for it.

> I hope that the same (or similar) procedure that is used to convert
> the bzr repository, with all its branches, to git, could be used for
> migrating local branches.

Well, to be absolutely sure that you can later merge it to the master
branch on Savannah, it should run through Andreas' script.

-David