Re: Git transition checklist

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Git transition checklist
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 22:19:52 +0200

> Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 15:02:16 -0500
> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > What is the equivalent of bzr commit --fixes?
>
> There isn't one.  If you want to associate a bug with a commit you'll
> have to do it manually in the commit comment.

It would be nice to have something similar to --fixes, so that the bug
report is mentioned in the commit's metadata in some canonical format,
which will then make it easy to look for that.

> > Is there a changelog_merge equivalent?
>
> Not directly in git as far as I know.

Yes, there is: in gnulib.  It's called git-merge-changelog.  The
problem that (AFAIK) there's no distribution of it you can download;
one needs to produce a gnulib module for it, and then configure and
build it.

> > The current version deliberately avoids calling an external executable
> > during dumping of Emacs, because that seemed safer to me (one less point
> > of failure). I think a git version should do the same (but I expect to
> > hear it's impossible).
>
> I don't know of a way to do it.

How about looking in .git/logs/HEAD?

> I don't want to do these things in advance because the less time I
> spend typing bzr commands the better.  Keeping track of the branch/repo
> distinction and when I have to utter which kind of invocation makes
> my head hurt.

Latest bzr versions support colocated branches, if you cannot live
without that.  (Frankly, in Emacs this makes little sense.)