Re: trunk r115926: In preparation for the move to git, sanitize out some

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: trunk r115926: In preparation for the move to git, sanitize out some Bazaar-specific names.
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 18:34:24 -0500

Glenn Morris <address@hidden>:
> > -** If your Emacs was built from a bzr checkout, the new variable
> > -`emacs-bzr-version' contains information about the bzr revision used.
> > +** If your Emacs was built from a repository checkout, the new variable
> > +`emacs-repository-version' contains information about the bzr revision
> > used.
>
> This entry was in the NEWS section corresponding to the already-released
> 24.3, so should not have been changed.

Oops.  I thought it was in the 24.4 section; I'll revert that and make sure
the name change is properly noted in the 24.4 news.

> Perhaps there should be an obsolete variable alias emacs-bzr-version,
> since it existed in the previous release and now does not.

I think it is *highly* doubtful anyone ever used it...

> (Actually, I don't think it should have been changed at all during a
> feature freeze.)

Perhaps not.  But I did get a request that the stuff around (what is now)
emacs-repository-version be fixed immediately so that at no point would
any bug report lack a repository revision stamp.

My next intended change is to modify a bit of Lisp so that this variable
is set properly whether the repo type is Bazaar or Git.