Re: Git transition checklist

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: Git transition checklist
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:22:04 +0100

> In the case of "git clone --shared" vs "git new-workdir", however,
> "git new-workdir" does something equivalent to "git clone --shared",
> and then does some other stuff too.  I don't really see any reason not
> to do "clone --shared".

clone --shared should only be used if know what you do, especially avoid
it if the origin is continued to be used for development.  It works best
if the origin is just a mirror of the upstream repo, and never modified
except by pulling from upstream.  A clone without --shared gives almost
the same space saving without the caveats.  Copying commits between
clones is straight forward with git fetch.

There is work in progress to fully integrate git new-workdir into the
git core, to remove its shortcomings.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, address@hidden