Re: trunk r115926: In preparation for the move to git, sanitize out some

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: trunk r115926: In preparation for the move to git, sanitize out some Bazaar-specific names.
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 07:37:02 -0500

Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>:
> So, to summarize, I think the right thing to do is:
>
> 1.- Restore emacs-bzr(-get)-version, with docstring and all.
> 2.- (Keep, if you want, your new and currently useless
> emacs-revision(-get)-version API)
> 3.- Just after the switch, make obsolete the old pair with
>
> (make-obsolete 'emacs-bzr-get-version 'emacs-repository-get-version "24.4")
> (make-obsolete-variable 'emacs-bzr-version 'emacs-repository-version "24.4")

I must be missing something.  I don't see how this would solve any problem
at all.

I don't understand why simply looking at emacs-bzr-version isn't working
for you, given that it's now aliased.

What would (emacs-bug) look at under this plan?  If your answer is
emacs-bzr-version, I strongly object.  The fact that the VCS name
was exposed at that level was a *bug*, a layering violation (and I would
say the same thing if the name had been emacs-git-version). Nothing
in Lisp outside version.el has need to know that and therefore
should not know it.

You're going to have a flag day either way when the VCS changes; I
don't get why pushing it into the future by deferring the rename would
help you.

I don't see any win at all in this reversion. And because doing it would
reintroduce a layering violation, I'm going to need a lot of convincing.