RFC - cleaning up /etc

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: RFC - cleaning up /etc
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 09:02:26 -0500 (EST)

This is an issue completely orthogonal to the git transition, but
also motivated by my concern that the Emacs codebase and project raise
needless barriers to contribution.

/etc is a mess.  Over the years it's become a dumping ground for
miscellany.  There are no fewer that four different files of
miscellaneous jokes! And a cookie recipe! And...stuff.

I think this matters because newbies who try to browse it get lost.
Important things like the GNU Manifesto (yes, I agree it should
be treated as important despite my well-known disagreements with it)
are half-submerged in trivia, clutter, and files that only programs
rather than humans care about.

I propose to fix this with a reorganization.  /etc should be the data
directory for files used by Lisp and programs in the suite.  The files
meant exclusively for human browsing - the jokes, the cookie recipe,
the Manifesto, the hacking guides - should move to a new directory
designated for such content.

That directory should have a proper README of it own mapping the
content, so  newbies can quickly grasp what is there and what they
might want to look at.

Discuss.

"The power to tax involves the power to destroy;...the power to
destroy may defeat and render useless the power to create...."
        -- Chief Justice John Marshall, 1819.