Re: Git transition checklist

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Git transition checklist
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 10:12:33 -0500

> Option 1 is like a regular bzr branch: branch1's history is identical
> to trunk up to the point of cloning, after that independent of trunk.

W.r.t to Bzr's shared repository, this is different in that the sharing
is asymmetric: what you pull into "trunk" will also be available
(without re-fetching) in ws1 but not vice-versa.

Also, this comes with a big "NOTE: this is a possibly dangerous operation"
in the manpage, because "trunk" doesn't know about "ws1", so a "git gc"
in trunk (explicit or implicit) may remove revisions that are still
needed by ws1.
Bzr avoided the problem by not providing "gc".

> For more glitches, ask Stefan.

I think that covers it up.  Basically, IIUC, the rule for
git-new-workdir is "at most one workdir for a given branch".
So if you want a "second workdir" of trunk, make a new branch off of
"trunk" and then do a "new-workdir" for that new branch.

        Stefan