Re: preferring mercurial

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: preferring mercurial
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 22:42:17 +0700

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Neal Becker <address@hidden> wrote:
> I don't understand the git momentum.  I've use hg heavily, and am generally
> happy with it.

I use git heavily, and am happy with it. Except that I wish gitk and
git gui were more keyboard-friendly.

> Every time I have to use git, I have a terrible time.  I find it vastly more
> complicated than hg.  The docs (in the form of man pages) I find never answer
> my
> questions.  Each one seems to cover 100 different topics, variations and
> corner
> cases.  Trying to read this requires a vast new vocabulary or arcane terms.

If you want answers, read “Pro Git”, not manuals. Manuals are for when
you know what you want, just forgot some little detail.

> hg also has tortoisehg, which is a very nice mature gui.  There is nothing
> like
> that for git.  I have found 1 or 2 guis that are extremely limited in
> function.

All Tortoise-like GUIs I have seen have a fatal flaw. They start
visualizing from the space dimension (files in the tree), then you can
dig down through the context menus to the time dimension (commits in
the DAG) and the alternate-reality dimension (branches).

Gitk (and a few less featureful lookalikes, git cola, giggle) start
with the DAG, and then you can select a commit and see which files it
touches. And this helps with the big picture immensely.