Re: Git transition checklist

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Git transition checklist
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 20:40:13 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Feature branches worry me much less than the need to work with at
> least two (in the future maybe more) public and long-living branches:
> the development trunk and the release branch.  As previously
> explained, frequent merging between them is a matter of routine, and
> since they diverge very quickly after the branching, having them
> colocated in the same directory will be a nuisance, because the build
> after switching to another branch will be annoyingly long, generally a
> full configure+bootstrap will be required.

I have a defadvice for the magit function that switches branches. It
saves the file timestamps of the current branch, switches to the other
branch and restores the file timestamps for that branch.

Then, each branch has its own build directory.

For Emacs, this approach has the problem of having the .elc files shared
on the source directory. A configure option for putting the .elc files
on the build directory would fix that.