Re: Git transition checklist

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Git transition checklist
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 22:49:50 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Where is the "great extent" and how is it "invasive"? Because you need
>> to remove hacks from the build system and Emacs itself?
>
> No, because a package should support building both from its source
> directory and outside it.  Every other project does.

Emacs does not really support out-of-source builds.

>> Placing build products in the source directory while doing an
>> out-of-source build is terrible, so the feature shouldn't exist to begin
>> with.
>
> But I like it.  And it's not up to you or the VCS to educate me about
> that,

Then it is unfair to blame the tool when it does not match your
personal, against-the-standard views.

> not at my age.

Age-related learning disability? Sorry to hear that.

Seriously, even if you find an acceptable workflow, supporting a true
out-of-source build (and making it the default) is something missing
from Emacs. (It looks like something I could do. Loading the .elc files
from the build directory is no problem. Adapting the build system...
<shudder>)