RE: Apologia for bzr

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Apologia for bzr
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 14:05:34 -0800 (PST)

>>> In regard to windows, buffers and frames, we could have a mode of
>>> operation which ties each buffer to a one-window frame.  That would
>>> eliminate a lot of complexity.
>>>
>>> We could even offer that as the mode of use for beginners, if that
>>> would make it easier for a new generation of hackers to become Emacs
>>> users.  I don't know whether it WOULD have that effect, but if it
>>> would, I think it is a good idea.
>>
>> I'm somewhat doubtful this would be well-directed effort.  In my
>> experience, he complexity that beginners react badly to is not
>> multi-window/multi-buffer, it's 1,001 spiky keystroke sequences.
>
> I couldn't help but notice that this (having each buffer tied to a
> single frame) really sounds like One On One Emacs.

;-)

But One On One Emacs does *not* tie a buffer to a frame.  Only
*Help*, *Completions*, and special-display buffers have dedicated
windows (by default).

You can split windows, visit a different buffer in the same frame,
or do anything else that you might normally do in Emacs.  The main
difference is that when you display a buffer it typically pops up
in a separate frame.