RE: About the :distant-foreground face attribute

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: About the :distant-foreground face attribute
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 14:24:42 -0800 (PST)

> > The solution should be able to cope with the need to dynamically
> > decide which color is used as a foreground, based on the current
> > background.  It also needs to support the possibility that a face
> > will want to force use of a specific fixed foreground color,
> > regardless of the background.  (Jan, did I miss some additional
> > requirements?) If you can propose a cleaner solution that satisfies
> > these requirements, please do, and let's discuss that.

IMO, there are no such "requirements", and no bug to be "fixed" here.

> I still wonder why it is necessary in the first place.

I don't think it was.

> From my experience, editors usually simply drop font-lock when you
> mark text (at least Eclipse does that, and in gvim it seems to be
> configurable), and I think that is a good default.

Yes, of course; it is the normal, and expected, behavior.

Users should be able to easily see which text is selected - each
character.  Selection highlighting should be (and is, everywhere
else that I am aware of) "on top", taking precedence over other
highlighting.

> When you mark a region, you want to apply some kind of operation on
> it, after which the region will be gone and font lock is restored.
>
> If you really really want font-lock on a marked region, then you
> will have to choose a region background which will play well with
> your color theme.
>
> Introducing a new face attribute for such a small annoyance looks
> like overkill to me.

It's not just the chosen fix that is misguided.  It is the belief
that other highlighting (such as font lock) should "show through" the
selection highlighting.  This should have been tossed as "not a bug".