Re: Time to drop the pre-dump phase in the build?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Time to drop the pre-dump phase in the build?
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:30:23 +0200

> From: Barry Warsaw <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 15:20:35 -0500
>
> Interestingly enough albeit tangential, I haven't even byte-compiled my
> personal elisp files in *decades*.  I just load them from source

Did you measure performance?  Byte-compiled code is about 2 times
faster.

> Performance (startup or runtime) hasn't been a problem since I made
> the switch.

If you are used to slightly slower operation, you will in time stop
paying attention to the slow-down.  E.g., I run an unoptimized build
of Emacs most of the time (due to better debugging opportunities), and
think it is fast enough -- until I fire up an optimized build and am
amazed by its speed.