Re: Time to drop the pre-dump phase in the build?

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Time to drop the pre-dump phase in the build?
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 16:07:19 -0800

On 01/10/2014 03:23 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
That's why the XEmacs portable dumper is better than the current Emacs
setup.

Right, a portable dumper would be nice to have.
Tho I don't know enough of the details to know what are the downsides
(e.g. does it require relocation?  If so that means the file can't just
be mmap'd read-only and shared between processes, right?).

If I'm reading the XEmacs Internals documentation properly, pdump *may* require relocation, but not if the offset at which the dumpfile is loaded happens to match the offset at which it's loaded. That's about as good as you can ask for.