Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval

From: Nix
Subject: Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 22:34:15 +0000

On 6 Jan 2014, David Kastrup stated:

> The commit ids are unique.  It's usually easiest to quote the entire
> SHA128 via copy&paste, but the first 16 digits or so are usually
> sufficient.

You can just use 'git log --abbrev-commit' to get commit IDs abbreviated
(enough for nonambiguity and no further).

If you want to enable this forever, git 1.7.6+ lets you say

git config log.abbrevCommit true

(add --global or --system to make it apply to all repositories for this
user, or all repositories on the system, respectively).

> In addition, once you have a local repository, something like
>
> git clone existing_workdir new_workdir
>
> will do the cloning by using hard links, taking almost no time and no
> space.  I often do that for one-off testing of stuff while my "main"
> workdir is busy compiling stuff.

In addition in addition, git-new-workdir (a script in git's contrib/
directory, likely to be installed by default eventually in some form or
other) will let you check out more than one branch at once on the same
repository.

--
NULL && (void)