Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:11:21 +0100

Bob Proulx <address@hidden> writes:

> Three hours and 3G of memory for this one repack!  I worry that
> turning --agressive on globally will cause the server to fall over.

IMHO --aggressive is too aggressive, and not useful for on-going
maintenance.  Incresing pack.window to 50 or so should already help
enough to improve the packing.

> If an agressively repacked repository is again repacked but this time
> without the --agressive option does the size stay around 327M or does
> it get expanded on the subsequent pass?

Unless you run repack with -f (ie. gc --aggresive) existing deltas are
reused, and only newly added objects are deltified.

> (Wondering if we can periodically run 'git gc --agressive' on the
> larger git repositories at a niced background task priority but not
> too often and still achieve a good benefit for the time between
> agressive repacks.)

Another option is to touch a <pack>.keep file for the largest pack so
that it is never touched again.  New objects will then be added to a
separate pack even after git gc.  If that large pack is already well
packed this should save some processing time.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, address@hidden