Re: About the :distant-foreground face attribute

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: About the :distant-foreground face attribute
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 14:07:23 +0100

Jan Djärv writes:
> Hello.
>
> 12 jan 2014 kl. 13:21 skrev David Engster <address@hidden>:
>
>> Jan Djärv writes:

>>> A theme does not have to suppy colors for properties light or dark.
>>
>> So? It also does not have to supply the distant-foreground attribute.
>
> Right.  But distant-foreground is implemented,

It can be removed again. That is what this thread is about.

> you proposal is not and does not add anything except moving colors to
> some other place in the defface definition.

Exactly. I want to fix the original bug by Darren without the need to
introduce another face attribute.

> Also, for a theme that does have a dark and light
> version, there is no guarantee that applying the dark version on the
> light version (or vice versa) is consistent with the theme look.

A consistent color theme will choose the region's background color in a
way that the font-lock colors are always visible in the first place. The
problem is with the default colors. We can easily add a 'dark'/'light'
foreground attribute to our default font-lock colors that work well with
the default region background from GTK/NS.

-David