Re: Git transition checklist

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Git transition checklist
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:15:27 -0700

Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Bastien wrote:
> > ~$ git clone <username>@git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs
> > This does not work.  I think it should be
> >
> > ~$ git clone <membername>@git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs.git
>
> You are correct.  Fixed.

I would like to note that the final ".git" suffix at the end is
optional.  For some reason by the time I have typed in the *fourth*
set of characters "git" on a line I tend to think it is just too many
strings of "git" on a line.  :-) So personally I tend to leave off the
final .git on the end.  It will be added if it is not specified.  And
stripped to create the local target name if added and the target
directory is not specified.

This is fine for anonymous public access since that is already rooted at
/srv/git on the server side:

  git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs

This is fine for logged in with ssh read-write access:

  git clone address@hidden:/srv/git/emacs

Or with .git on the end is fine too if you prefer.

  git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git
  git clone address@hidden:/srv/git/emacs.git

Yet another alternative ssh read-write access path would be to use the
URL syntax for ssh.

  git clone ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/emacs

The ssh URL syntax tends to be used less than the scp-like syntax.

Bob