Re: Mopre fun with vcswitness

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Mopre fun with vcswitness
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 22:30:31 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 21:18:20 +0100
>>
>> The overall look is highly suspicious for srcdir being different
>> from .
>
> srcdir should always be a relative file name, like ../foo, never
> absolute.
>
> Does it still look suspicious under that assumption?

Yes.  I am not saying "guilty", I am saying "suspicious".  While the
U.S. justice system makes it very expensive to get differentiation
between "guilty" and "suspicious", it's still a valid distinction.

But it looks filthy enough to be viewed as within three hops of a
genuine bug.

At any rate, even with relative paths I'd not expect to see

    VCSWITNESS: $(srcdir)/../.bzr/checkout/dirstate

but rather

    VCSWITNESS: ../$(srcdir)/.bzr/checkout/dirstate

since it is hard to imagine that the former would work for _anything_
but srcdir=. here.

The same holds for the current

        vcswitness='$$(srcdir)/../'$$dirstate;                          \

which would seem, used from within the src subdirectory, to have to
rather be

        vcswitness='../$$(srcdir)/'$$dirstate;                          \

It would seem that srcdir=. is the _only_ value for which this would
work.  Which is also likely the most common value, namely the one for
in-place builds.

--
David Kastrup