Re: GtkHandleBox in GTK3 looks awful and is deprecated: can we stop usin

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: GtkHandleBox in GTK3 looks awful and is deprecated: can we stop using it?
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 11:58:39 +0100

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 18:18:16 -0800 Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> wrote:

> In GTK3 builds, at least with the default Unity GKT+ theme, GtkHandleBox looks
> awful because it's not styled with other widgets.

I agree it doesn't look good.

>                                                   The feature it's supposed to
> provide doesn't even work: detaching the toolbar just yields a zero-size
> window.

If you set x-gtk-whole-detached-tool-bar to t then the whole toolbar is
displayed when detached.  However, with the default value nil, there is
indeed no button displayed, just the handle and an empty strip one
character wide.  It used to show a clickable arrow that would expand the
toolbar.  I don't know if this regression was introduced in gtk3.

>         GtkHandleBox is deprecated in GTK+3 and it will be removed eventually;
> there is no replacement. Can we just compile without HAVE_GTK_HANDLE_BOX_NEW?
> Does this feature get much use?

I've occasionally used it, but not in a long time (hence didn't notice
the above regression).  Now having tried it again, I observe another
bug: detaching and reattaching the toolbar causes the frame to shrink
(vertically, if the toolbar is displayed on the top or bottom of the
fram; horizontally, if it's displayed on the left or right.)  I don't
know if this bug is also new with gtk3; it seems to be different from
previous frame-shrinking bugs I've reported (bug#3243, bug#14627).  But
if detaching the toolbar is on the way out, it may not be worth making a
new bug report.

Steve Berman