Re: enabling company-capf support in cfengine.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: enabling company-capf support in cfengine.el
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:39:44 +0200

On 16.01.2014 18:06, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I don't see why you wouldn't want to include it for Emacs-24.1 already.
I do understand why you would prefer keeping company-elisp for <=24.3,
but AFAIK company-capf works well in 24.1.

Mostly simplicity, one less version check. And I don't really consider completion functions without :company- properties as viable substitutes for Company backends. And many of them still behave inappropriately, like `semantic-ia-complete-symbol' and `nxml-complete'.

BTW, the next step would be to supplant other company backends, like
we've done with company-elisp: company-css, company-nxml, and
company-semantic look like prime candidates.

Indeed. Although I'm not sure what would be an appropriate counterpart in CAPF for `company-semantic--pre-prefix-length'.

With Semantic, we also have the question of alternatives. At the moment, `company-semantic' goes before `company-clang', so that if semantic-mode is enabled, the former is used, and otherwise, the latter.

If we remove `company-semantic' from the list (and keep `company-capf' after the more specific backends), `company-clang' will have precedence and will get enabled by default whenever `clang' is present in the system.