Re: The fixes-bug field

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The fixes-bug field
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 09:51:50 +0200

> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:29:57 -0500
> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
> > > From: address@hidden (Eric S. Raymond)
> > > Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 09:15:06 -0500 (EST)
> > >
> > >   Eli Zaretskii:
> > >           "revisions 103939.1.41..103939.1.44 (inclusive)"
> > If that doesn't give you the info you want, please tell what else do
> > you need (e.g., bzr revision IDs are easy, if you need them).
>
> High-level, what I want is a VCS-independent was to describe that range
> of commits.
>
> Unless there's an easy synoptic description of that range in English
> (which would be preferable, but seems unlikely)

Sorry, I don't understand what needs to be explained.  Those are trunk
revision numbers, they are of the "dotted" NNN.X.Y form because they
came from a merge commit of another branch.  That branch was Paul
Eggert's local feature branch.  But the revisions are still accessible
on the trunk using those very numbers (that's why I made a point of
specifying _trunk_ revno numbers, although the commit was on the
emacs-23 branch -- I knew that trunk will live forever).

So whatever you need to know about these revisions you can see using
these numbers, for example:

  bzr log -c 103939.1.41

> I'll need the committer and timestamp of 103939.1.41 and 103939.1.44
> so I can express those as action stamps.

Since both the committer and the time stamp are in the bzr revision
ID, here you go:

  bzr log --include-merged --long --show-ids -r 103939.1.41..103939.1.44 |
fgrep revision-id
  revision-id: address@hidden
  revision-id: address@hidden
  revision-id: address@hidden
  revision-id: address@hidden

You want the first 2 parts of the revision IDs, before the 2nd dash.