Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?)

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 09:35:17 +0100

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 4:02 AM, Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> wrote:
On 01/17/2014 06:59 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:
On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 2:59 AM, Daniel Colascione <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
    What does C-s do in Emacs? What do most novice users expect C-s to
    do? In order to use Emacs as a base for gedit, Emacs would have had
    to have been warped beyond all recognition. Emacs is a great
    environment, but let's not pretend that it's what users migrating
    from proprietary desktop operating systems should face when trying
    to edit a simple cookie recipe for themselves should have to face.

Wouldn't you still have recognized the elisp? ;-)

I would have been much more comfortable with Emacs as the basis for
gedit. Emacs was made to be customize-able, but somehow it still failed
to form the basis for gedit. Is not that a bit unfortunate? (Maybe not,
but what about the future of Emacs then?)

Parts of Emacs are very rigid. Try making a mode that allows point to be off-screen while scrolling like it can be in most other editors.

Bear in mind also that when gedit was new, Emacs didn't have transient-mark-mode or shift-marking on by default and it didn't support bidirectional text. The Emacs configuration system is also completely different. Would you have integrated customize with gconf? How?

I am not sure what you are trying to say there, Daniel, but all these points looks to me like things that could be (or are now) solved. (The bidirectional text which Eli worked on was probably the hardest, of course.)