Re: twitter.el, anyone?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: twitter.el, anyone?
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 14:22:09 -0500

    - twittering-mode uses CA certificates provided by Symantec here
      https://www.symantec.com/page.jsp?id=roots

Could you explain how twittering-mode relates to those certificates?

    The first blocker is strong: using these certificates requires
    the authors to sign Symantec Root Certificate license agreement,
    which is not compatible with GPL:

I don't follow this statement.  Who exactly has to agree to that license?

What effect does this have on users of twittering mode?  What effect
does this have on redistributors of twittering mode?

As for incompatibility with the GPL, is that issue relevant?  The
certificate need not be covered by the GPL, and it is not software,
is it?  Isn't it data?

Anyway, without understanding how the certificate relates to
the software, I can't tell what the issue is.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation