Artifacts on the fringes

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Artifacts on the fringes
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 06:25:06 +0100

After using Emacs for some minutes, characters on the fringes are not
always removed when they should. For instance, on Gnus an arrowhead is
displayed on the left fringe to indicate the current article on the
summary list; pressing `n' moves you to the next article and a new
arrowhead is displayed on the line below, but the old arrowhead is not
deleted. It is happening right now while I type this message: when a
line grows too long, it is wrapped and the indicators are shown on each
fringe; filling the paragraph (M-q) splits the long line but the
indicators stay.

Covering and uncovering the Emacs frame with some other application's
window (i.e. forcing a repaint) makes the stale characters go away from
the affected area.

I'm struggling to reproduce the problem on reasonable terms so I'm
commenting here just case it rings any bell. So far I can repro the
issue but with a non-trivial setup consisting on using a certain theme
(solarized) and running a custom command through `compile'.

I'm using today's Emacs on GNU/Linux (Lucid toolkit) but the problem
comes from some months ago. I think that it is not as bad as it used to
be so maybe some change ameliorated it recently.

Hints appreciated.