Re: twitter.el, anyone?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: twitter.el, anyone?
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:26:23 +0100

twittering-mode relies on data called Root Certificates.

Here is an example of a Root Certificate:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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-----END CERTIFICATE-----

These certificates are provided by Symantec.

When redistributing them with their software, developers have to agree
with the Root Certificate License Agreement that can be found here:

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/about/media/repository/root-certificate-license-agreement.pdf

Developers don't need to sign the agreement, they implicitely accept
it by using and redistributing the certificates.

My reading of the license agreement above is that using Symantec
certificates in a software creates a lot of constraints for the
developers and that these constraints are not compatible with using
them in a free software -- but I may be wrong and I will let someone
else double-check.

In the meantime, I told the twittering-mode maintainers about this
problem and they will check themselves, hopefully coming up with
other certificates.

--
 Bastien