RE: Inhibit "Wrote foo" from write-region

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Inhibit "Wrote foo" from write-region
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 09:59:16 -0800 (PST)

> I think the conclusion was that we can add a variable that Lisp
> programs could bind, which will force write-region use 'message'.
> Then you could override that in Lisp.

That seems pretty crude.  Sounds like all or nothing.  Giving the
user the black & white choice, "Do you want eight zillion useless
messages or no messages at all?" sounds like a cop-out.

Why not do what we do for Dired, when you operate on marked files?
You get *one* message telling you there were errors (if any), and
if you then hit `?' a buffer pops up with all of the details. [1]

IOW, (1) inform the user if there were problems and then (2) let
the user get all the nitty gritty about those individual problems
on demand.  Those details are logged separately, not in *Messages*.

Logging such information to an Emacs buffer seems like the Emacs
way, no?

[1] Yes, I know that for some Dired operations the individual
operation also logs its own little messages to *Messages*.  But
for other Dired operations it does not.