Re: Occur stack

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Occur stack
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:03:37 +0200

> It seems to me that we could work on making it more convenient with many
> buffers. There is already a mechanism to hide buffers, by having an
> inital space in the name. Intuitively the overhead of many buffers is
> not much more than the overhead of string storage.
>
> At any rate, this is how I manage this problem locally at the moment. I
> just rename grep buffers I want to remember.

More than that, I create a new buffer on all invocations of
`compile' or `grep' with

  (setq compilation-buffer-name-function
        (lambda (mode-name)
          (generate-new-buffer-name
           (concat "*" (downcase mode-name) "*"))))

and have absolutely no problems with a large number of buffers.

OTOH, I think as the default behavior this is not too nice,
so better would be to keep the previous content in strings
accessible for navigation with `l' or from the window-local tab-bar.