Re: Eldoc mode in eval-minibuffer

From: Darren Hoo
Subject: Re: Eldoc mode in eval-minibuffer
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 18:28:54 +0800

Leo Liu <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2014-01-21 10:05 +0800, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I think the way to get rid of that FIXME is to remove the `add-hook'
>> but without replacing it with a mandatory call to eldoc-mode in
>> read--expression.
>
> Yes, I think we eventually come back to this.
>
>> As for how to best enable eldoc-mode in the minibuffer, it's a good
>> question.  If the user enables (a hypothetical) global-eldoc-mode, then
>> read--expression could check global-eldoc-mode to decide whether to
>> enable eldoc-mode.
>
> I don't mind how it is enabled post-24.4 ;)

I like this feature very much. It's a pity it won't go into 24.4

BTW, if we define this global-eldoc-mode as simple as lines follow
that turns on eldoc mode on all buffers (including the minibuffer)
if enabled, then this feature is brought back without even changes
to read--expression on the trunk now.

  ;;;###autoload
  (define-globalized-minor-mode global-eldoc-mode
    eldoc-mode eldoc-mode
    :initialize 'custom-initialize-delay
    :init-value (not noninteractive)
    :group 'eldoc