Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 13:46:02 -0500

>> > Why would we have to write a C++ parser and semantic analyzer?
>> If I understood Eli correctly he is advocating the independence of Emacs
>> for that purposes.

FWIW, for the languages I care about in my work (things like SML,
Haskell, OCaml, Coq, Agda, Twelf), parsing the syntax is not sufficient
to provide good support: we also want type information; and inferring
the type is very much non-trivial (it's a significant part of the whole
implementation in some cases).

So it is important in the longer run to provide a good way to use
external tools to get that info, since re-implementing it in Elisp
is illusory.

        Stefan