Re: Inhibit "Wrote foo" from write-region

From: Sebastian Wiesner
Subject: Re: Inhibit "Wrote foo" from write-region
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:35:17 +0100

address@hidden writes:

>> There is a typo ("ni" -> "nil"), and I don't exactly understand what the
>> other changes unrelated to write-region are for.  Other than that, looks
>> good.
>
> Thanks, installed.
>
>> Just out of curiosity:  What is the rationale behind these messages?
>> Why does write-region even print these messages?
>
> There's the obvious case where write-region is called interactively.
> I guess the behavior is inherited from this case.

I presume, there is little chance to change this behaviour for
noninteractive use?  I understand, that these messages are important to
many users in an *interactive* session, and that changing or removing
them would be backwards-incompatible, but do these messages really
matter in a *noninteractive* session?  Is there really a need to inform
about every single file being written to in Emacs Lisp scripts?

I mean, there is no other programming language that behaves this way by
default.