Re: Changes in update-game-score.c

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes in update-game-score.c
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:07:16 +0200

> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 20:56:13 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > The bugfix should have fixed the bug that was reported, and that's it.
>
> I could have filed a half-dozen bug reports, one for each bug I fixed,
> and then installed patches one by one, marking each bug fixed as I did
> so.

That is exactly what we all should do: each commit is one coherent
changeset, solving a problem that is independent of others.  I'm sure
I'm not saying anything you didn't know.

> But that would have been overkill in this case; it would have been
> too much work for everybody (particularly for me :-) for too little benefit.

Sorry, I disagree.

> The bugs included undefined behavior the very nature of which could be
> changed by the original fix for the reported bug, and we are talking
> setuid here, so here was sufficient justification for fixing them. Now
> that they're fixed we can move on.

Sorry, cannot move on, not yet.  Please at least document the reasons
for each part of that commit, as some of them remain unexplained in
the logs.  And since they are anything but self-explanatory, I don't
see how anyone else could do that, or guess.

Thanks.