Re: Changing user agent on eww [OT]

From: Trent W. Buck
Subject: Re: Changing user agent on eww [OT]
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:52:29 +1100

RĂ¼diger Sonderfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> On Saturday 18 January 2014 18:40:02 Vibhav Pant wrote:
>> Is it possible to change the user agent for fetching pages on eww (something
>> like a variable or a command)? --
>
> Kinda, eww uses url.el to fetch webpages.  Url.el has no direct
> variable to set the User-agent.  But if you set `url-privacy-level' to
> `paranoid' no User- agent is sent at all.

I used to do that, until Wikipedia (and her sister projects) started
returning an empty page if UA wasn't set, on the theory that you must be
a really inept leecher -- so inept you didn't start with wget or curl.

Hmm... I wonder if https://panopticlick.eff.org/ rates "no UA" as being
*more* identifiable than spoofing it to something commonplace? :-)