Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:43:42 +0200

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 11:57:42 +0900
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>  > Not sure it's worth to continue this line counting, but just for the
>  > record: AFAIU, you should add more XEmacs files to the "core", because
>  > xdisp.c covers some areas which in XEmacs are on separate files.
>
> No, that's backwards to my point.  I don't care if XEmacs has less
> code to support redisplay than Emacs does (modulo the "less
> functionality" aspect, I'd be disappointed if the comparison isn't
> approximately proportional to functionality).  My point is precisely
> that Emacs's "core" is much bigger than XEmacs's because it includes
> additional functionality.

Perhaps you could explain why this matters in the context of this
discussion.  As long as the file is clearly separated into sections
that deal with different groups of functionality, the size of the file
should matter only to the compiler, no?

> division into more files does help the developer to *reduce* coupling
> (by use of "static" to remind her that this variable shouldn't be used
> outside of this file, for example).

It's actually the other way around: the larger the file, the more
functions can be static, even if they are interfaces between
conceptually separate modules in the program's architectural design,
and will have to have external linkage if a large file is subdivided
into several smaller ones.