Re: ESR's intimidatingly huge task list

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: ESR's intimidatingly huge task list
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:56:22 +0200

On 23 January 2014 21:22, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
Rüdiger Sonderfeld <address@hidden>:
> > They are not identical, for example leading ./ in bzrignore maps to
> > leading / in gitignore.
>
> Are there any other major differences besides this?

None that are used in the Emacs tree.  I researched this when working
on reposurgeon's bzr support; the only other problem appears to be bzr
"RE:" expressions.

> I've replaced the ./ with / in bzrignore and use it with git now.
> If this looks good I'll commit it to trunk.

It might simplify things on conversion day if you don't.

The goal of the final polished conversion is to make it look as though
git had been in use all along - that way people won't see distracting
changes in behavior when they check out old revisions.

This means I'm going to have to write some reposurgeon procedure or facility to
map .bzrignores to .gitignores throughout the history.  Having a .gitignore
already in the tree at final conversion time might complicate that.

We already have some .gitignore files lying around so this ship has sailed. I think it makes sense to merge the proposed changes and remove the .gitignore files in the subdirectories.
Even now people are using the bzr repo via git-brz and they'd benefit from a proper .gitignore file.