Re: Inhibit "Wrote foo" from write-region

From: Johan Andersson
Subject: Re: Inhibit "Wrote foo" from write-region
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 14:34:56 +0100

> In general, given behavior that is old enough, you can be sure that someone, somewhere relies on it.

Is it a documented API? If it is, it is probably the worst "API" in the history of software and should be deprecated and removed. If it's not, just remove it and be done with it. If you rely on that sort of output, it's really your own fault and people can change their code.

I really really hate that Emacs prints messages when it really shouldn't. But I can live with that, as long as there is a way to turn them off, which there obviously isn't now. The non optional output is sort of a blocker for me as well.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 7:07 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:37:09 +0100
> From: Sebastian Wiesner <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>
> > I, for one, am accustomed to see these messages while Emacs is being
> > built: in a highly parallel build that is sometimes the only practical
> > way of knowing whether some part of the build succeeded or not.
>
> How do you do that?!  Do you really read *all* messages being printed while
> building?!

When I need to understand what went wrong, I read many of them, yes.

> I presume that just testing for the existence of interesting files (e.g.
> good old "find") isn't an option?

With today's fast machines, that's not good enough: it's not easy to
be sure whether a given file was created by this or the previous
build, when you run one after the other (perhaps trying to fix a
problem).

> Isn't that the job of the build system rather?

When the build system becomes smart enough to tell me what went wrong,
I will no longer need this, indeed.